Question
Posted by: Jewel | 2007/05/25

Is this a flu myth?

I have heard that it's dangerous to your health to exercise is you have a cold or flu because it puts pressure on the heart - is this true?
I have quite a bad cold and cough and have not exercised for the past week because of the above theory... But i would like to continue doing some aerobic exercises and stomach crunches. Is this a bad idea? I still am quite sick with a blocked nose and cough.

Thanks for your time and feedback!
J

Hi Jewel
You can do light exercise if you don't have fever or sore muscles. Some flu viruses attack the heart muscle and if you overexert yourself can cause heart damage.

1
Posted by: Karen | 2007/05/25

It is dangerous if you have the flu virus as exercise can cause irreversible damage to the heart !

Reply to Karen