Question
Posted by: C | 2004/10/06

Is there side-effects for Cipramil?

Hi Doc,
My therapist prescribed Cipramil for my anxiety. I am still breastfeeding my 6 month old. I would like to know the following:
1) Can I continue breastfeeding?
2) What are the side effects if I start using Cipramil.

C,
Firstly, nobody should EVER accept any prescription from their doctor without asking him to specifically describe the possible significant side-effects of that medicine ; secondly, don't collect a prescription from a pharmacy, without asking the pharmacist the same question. Thirdly, don't ever accept any medication from a pharmacy unless they include with it a copy of the Package Insert which lists all safety advice and side-efects, etc. Fourthly, ten sit and read that Insert. remember that the side-effects described are possible, but not compulsory, and that all side-effects tend to get better after the first few days to a week or so.
And no doctor should prescribe ANY medicine whatsoever to a woman he knows might be breastfeeding her baby, withou making sure that it is safe to do so.