Question
Posted by: Mzwandile, Malaika, Yebo, Anybody please help!! | 2004/03/11

Is there hope?

You give very help details on this forum. And if one visits a doctor they usually confirm the things you say- Thank you so much for that I was kept going by your help.

Could you please see if you can shed some light on a matter that is eating me right now.

My husband is positive and I am negative it has been like this for a year since I found out about him. We have been practicing safe sex ever since then. Last night the worse happened the condom leaked.

We drove to the emergency room and blood was taken from me and within two hours I was put on 3TC and Retrovir for a month. My questions is from your research would you say this is the best combination I could get. Please know. I know you are not a medical doctor but from you research is this the best combination I could get on an emergency.

I will be getting my results today, this evening then I will be on the window period again, just like last year and that was so bad.

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

The combo you are taking is fine

2
Posted by: Mzwandile | 2004/03/12

I also wish they could make a morning after pill that will work against the virus for people in your situation. I can't agree with Malaika more. I don't know how you manage to have an enjoyable sex life in your condition, especially after this unfortunate incident. I think you should tone down on rough sex, lol. Just use more reliable condoms and stick to one make once you find the right one. Government condoms are the worst cause of HIV transmissions from what I hear. Please stay strong and just imagine that 10 years ago people were paying R10 000 for a months supply of a handful a day ARV. Today the more reliable ones only four a day at R700 medical rates. There is hope indeed.

Reply to Mzwandile
Posted by: malaika | 2004/03/11

I can understand your state of panic but i'm glad that you rushed to the emergency room.I can only imagine what you must be going through everyday of your life since you found out.I believe that 3TC is one of the best emergency pills one can take because you are negative and it is strong enough to supress the virus.Look at it this way; if 3TC combination can make an hiv + person have an undetectable viral load imagine what it can do for a negative person.I believe that you have taken the correct measures of prevention.Unfortunately, these are some of the realities of having an hiv+ partner.I urge you to stay strong and keep the faith.God Loves You! Good Luck with your results, i'm sure you will stay hiv-.

Reply to malaika