Question
Posted by: sharn | 2006/07/17

Is there anywhere?

Hey diet doc
I'm so battling with bulimia and keeping any food down, I'm not strong enough to stop and I hide it so well.Is there any online support groups for people with eating disorders that does not need an account? There is not one support group in Durban and nobody understands, please I just need to know i'm not alone and that it's not all my fault

Dear Sharm
I don't know of an Internet support group for bulimia, but would urge you to seek professional help ASAP. Anorexia, bulimia and orthorexia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.dietetics.co.za and click on Private Practising to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za who may be able to give you advice about support groups.
But go for expert help ASAP.