Question
Posted by: Early Menopause/HRT | 2007/05/02

Is there a pre-screen for ovarian cancer

I have been on HRT (Activel) for 8 years now and recently read in the Sunday Times that this could increase my changes of contracting ovarian cancer by 60%. What are the symptoms and is there not a pre-screen cancer test for ovarian cancer that I could undergo?

Screening for ovarian cancer involves regular check-ups. Other tests have been devised, including scans and blood tests, but these have a high false positive rate, i.e. they can be positive even if you do not have cancer, so0 your best bet is regular gynae checks. Symptoms would be pain and abdominal discomfort.