Question
Posted by: nico | 2007/04/17

Is there a diet for children under 10

My daugther now 9 is accordingly to my wife overweigth. It causes issues because I feel that if you keep on moaning the child can have issues over weigth and personal problems in the years to come. I feel that we have to controll what she eats, but my wife thinks I am unsupportive. Last night after dinner my wife offerd her some apple pie witch I feel was not the right thing to do. Is there a diet or eating plan wich you cold recomend, or any advice on the matter.

Dear Nico
I agree with you that it is vital not to make young children 'diet sensitive' as this can lead to all kinds of problems in later life, including a poor self image and in extreme cases, to eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia. I would strongly recommend that you a) a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will firstly assess your daughter and her weight and then work out a slimming diet for her that helps her to lose weight, but still provides all the nutrients she needs for normal growth; b) see a clinical psychologist for some family therapy because your wife seems to have some unresolved conflicts - on the one hand she nags about your child's weight, while on the other hand she sabotages any weight loss attempts.
Hope you get this situation sorted out.