Question
Posted by: Sniffy | 2004/02/23

Is there a cure for this?

I'm in my mid twenties and for as long as I can remember I've had these moments of thinking life is just rubbish and wanting to kill myself. There doesn't even have to be a trigger. And in that moment I actually feel bad enough to do it. I'm generally quite happy and excited about life and things - it's just these lows seem to be more hectic than most people experience. I do harm to myself like cutting, hitting or make myself throw up when I feel like this. It worries me - because recently I felt that terrible just for an hour or so - that I thought I would die. What can I do? Where can I go for help? Is it depression even though it's for such a small percentage of the time?

Sniffy, no, it's not the normal sort of Depression, in which one is very Depressed ( with a range of symptoms as well as sadness ) for most of the time, most of the day, most days of the week.
But some folks do indeed have an unstable mood, and when you describe cutting, hitting yourself and throwing up, this is a very recogniseable pattern --- and some thing which can and should be greatly helped by seeing a shrink, for a fuller asssesment and advise on treatment options. Counselling is definitely indicated.