Question
Posted by: Interested | 2003/12/09

Is there a correlation?

My grandfather is in hospital at the moment - very ill - it does not look like he is going to survive. All of a sudden, I feel so broody. Is there some sort of correlation do you think.

I am not thinking of seriously having a child - but seem to feel it might make the hurt feel a little better.

Is there some sort of connection between the two? I am a 28 year old female (with no kids but am happily married)

Thank you!

Interested,
Actually, an interesting question. Some people do find, and have written about, a connection of the sort you are experiencing. Faced with the prospect of death in a loved one but of an older generation, one may inded feel some sort of vague broody urge to reproduce, to add another person the the family tree, as one seems likely to be removed from it ---how about other readers, anyone else experienced such a connection ?
There was some curious research after the Aberfan disaster, decades back, when an unstable mine tip slid after heavy rains, and buried the village school, killing almost an entire generation of children --- one researcher reported that, after an interval, the birth rate in that single valley and no others in the area, rose higher than usual, until about as many extra children had been born, above the usual numbers, as replaced the children who had been lost, and then the birth-rate in that valley fell back, again, to the same level as anywhere else in Wales. Curious, ne ?

1
Posted by: Lee | 2003/12/09

very curious. I remember feeling the same way when my Gran was dying. I had just got engaged and really wanted children very badly and her death made me want even more. 7 Years later I had my first child and am pleased as I would never have coped then especially if I had to go through the "stuff" i'm going through now (see earlier posting) i forgot and so many symptoms.

Reply to Lee