Question
Posted by: Susie | 2008/01/07

Is soda water OK?

Have been trying to be good and drink water. Hate the stuff. But I can drink 2 - 3 litres of it if I carbonate it in my Soda Stream. I add no syryps so it tastes just like soda water or Valpre sparkling. I do use purified water though. I worry about the carbon gas. Is it ok to have so much?

Dear Susie
It is perfectly safe to use sparkling or carbonated or soda water for your liquid intake. However it is not a good idea to exceed 2.5 litre of LIQUID a day (this includes any beverage you may drink, such as cold drinks, tea, coffee, milk, etc). Drinking too much liquid can lead to electrolyte imbalances because vital nutrients such as potassium, sodium and magnesium are washed out of the body. Be moderate in everything.