Posted by: Fairycakes | 2007/07/19

is slimming aids bad for us?

I have a friend who is drinking slimming liquid to get thin and she is thin and she still drinks it to became more thin. I don't know if she has become addicted to it because she drink a bottle a week.
She get aggitated, irritable and upset. We cannot say anything then she argues with us. She thinks she is always right but is wrong. I want to know the side effects of slimming liquid like thinz or others so i know what to look for when a person goes overboard.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Fairycakes
You are quite correct that using slimming pills or liquids like Thinz that contain ephedrine, pseudo-epinephrine or synephrine can be very harmful. These components can cause a long list of negative side-effects (dependence, addiction, tremors, insomnia, palpitations, irritability, psychotic reactions, etc). These products have been banned in many countries because of their negative side-effects, which include addiction and dependence. From what you say, your friend already seem to be addicted to these pills. I don't know how you are going to make her aware of the potential danger she is in and that she is addicted (the symptoms you list all fit in with epinephrine addiction), but it would be a good idea if she could stop taking this product. If your friend is already thin and still takes slimming products then she may also be on the verge of an eating disorder. She actually need professional help from a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or she can ask her gp to refer her), to help her work out what underlying psychological problems are driving her to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. She should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist her to get back to eating normally again. She can visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in the area where you live.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.