Question
Posted by: Simran | 2006/04/10

is she depressed?

a friend of mine has had a gum disease for a while. To ease the pain she takes Myprodol, which contains codeine phosphate. This apparently causes nausea, depression, etc, which she has experienced for months. She's tried to commit suicide and has been stealing wine from supermarkets behind our backs. I believe alcohol can aggrevate the depression symptoms when taken with Myprodol. I really want to help her. She's not the same wonderful person she use to be. She's not a criminal. I honestly believe there's a deeper meaning behind her actions. She refuses to see a psychologist and won't accept any help. What is wrong with her? and What must I do to help her?

codeine can contribute to depression ( it can also be highly constipating ) --- and chronic pain and chronic infection can each encourage the development of Depression, too. Alcohol greatly exaggerates or amplifies any Depression, and also stops medicines from working properly. Stealing wine IS criminal, and she could get into serious trouble for this, though I understand that you mean that you don't consider her to be a generalyl dishonest person. But it is always hard to help someone who needs expert assistance and is foolish enough to refuse to get the help they need. You can only try to encourage her to recognize that this whole pattern is sinister and unpleasant and could lead to much more serious problems, all of which can respond so well to treatment, that it is most unfortunate that she is avoiding what she needs.