Question
Posted by: Ingrid | 2004/02/29

Is pre-eclampsia ever hereditary?

If my mother had pre-eclampsia with both her pregnancies, does it mean that I, too, will be at greater risk of developing this condition when I fall pregnant? I must add that she had high blood pressure even before she fell pregnant. I have never had high blood pressure, although it may be masked by the daily beta blockers I have been taking for an anxiety disorder since my teenage years. My sister has had two children and she did not suffer from high blood pressure during either of her pregnancies.

That is an interesting question. It is thought that there way be a genetic element to pre-eclampsia, but this has not been proven. So the answer is not known.