Question
Posted by: Sas | 2004/11/28

Is palm kernel oil bad?

Many years ago I read that palm kernel oil found in foods is bad for you, is this true (I have found no info on the net) and what is the difference between palm oil & palm kernel oil?

Dear Sas
I am actually planning to write a DietDoc Topic on this subject. Palm kernel oil is derived from the seed or kernel (hence the name) of palm fruits and has a negative reputation because it contains high levels of saturated fats. Palm oil on the other hand, is made from the fleshy portions of the palm fruit and is exceptionally healthy. It contains phytonutrients such as beta-carotene, a special form of vit E called tocotrienol (powerful antioxidants), lycopene which is known to protect against cancer and other carotenoids. Palm oil is used extensively for cooking and food preparation in the Far East and is the number two edible oil in the world. Hopefully we will soon have palm oil available in our health shops and supermarkets. It has a red colour and can be used to prevent cancers and heart disease.