Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/04/30

Is my sister addicted?

My sister lost her 18 year old daughter 3 years ago to cancer. (Her only daughter.) Obviously she struggles. She has a demanding career, but to my opinion is an addicted perscription druggee. She takes 4 tablets every single night of her live. And basicly goes into a coma to get her through each and every night. She takes an anti-depression tablet; a sleeping tablet; something for anxiety and a tablet to "block" her dreams. Many nights she takes these tablets after having a few glasses of wine. I am worried, for she admitted to me that she cannot operate without this. Any advise??

If SHE acknowledges that this dependence on these tablets is a problem, she can seek proper assessment and advice from a good local psychiatrist, and may benefit from CBT counselling for her unresolved grief issues, and to find better ways of handling the symptoms which have led her to these chemical dependencies.