Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2004/10/20

Is my eating habits more or less correct?

Hi Diet Doc

I am trying to work out if my eating habits are correct, since I have put on weight in the past few months and I don't know why:

Here is more or less my eating plan:

Breakfast: 1 grapefruit + low fat yougurt
Midmorning: small salad, fruit, raw veggies (cauliflower or carrots)
Lunch: tuna/chicken/cheese sandwich - wholewheat bread only
Midafternoon: fruit/nuts/biltong(sometimes)
Supper: Lean meat/fish/chicken with salad/veggies/potatoes

I drink about 4-6 glasses of water. I also gym everymorning of the week. I am 26 years old, my height is 1.67, weight 68m, body fat % is 35 which I know is very high, trying to get it down. I don't know what the problem is, but this is getting me really down.

Dear Jenna
Your diet looks fine to me, except that you still need to include 2 cups of additional fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese for the necessary calcium you require. Seeing that you present BMI = 24, 4, your weight is still within the normal range, but for an ideal BMI of 22 you would have to weigh 61 kg. You can certainly work to reduce your body fat % as the average for normal, non-athletic women is 24%. Do this by doing aerobic exercise (skipping, running, rowing, cycling) rather than working with weights. If you don't start to lose weight with this diet and your daily exercise then I would have a medical checkup to see if you have a hormone imbalance (female hormones, thyroid and/or insulin) or if you suffer from depression - which can all cause weight gain. It could also be use of medications (the pill or other female hormone treatments, cortisone, etc). Discuss all these potential causes with your dr.