Question
Posted by: loverlyjuberly | 2008/01/31

is my child underweight

i have a 7 yr old boy height 123.7 weight 20.5kg. pleases email me as im really worryed, he is so thin, took hom the docs but they say hes fine but i think he is not. is he underweight?
thanks.xx

Dear LoverlyJuberly
I can for obvious reasons not e-mail my answers to Readers. According to international tables of heights and weights your 7-year-old son should weigh closer to 28 kg and be about 132 cm tall. I therefore agree that he is very light and short for his age and that you may need to take him to a Paediatrician for an assessment. If there is a family tendency to be short and slightly built this could account for his build, but I would rather get a second opinion. You don't mention if he has a normal appetite and if he eats well. There are many factors that could account for this type of failure to thrive - food allergies, malabsorption, unbalanced eating, excessive physical activity and psychological problems such as depression.
So do take your son for another assessment.

2
Posted by: Moroko | 2008/01/31

give him Nutren Junior by Nestle. It is a nutritional shake for kids who do not eat their food. it has all the vitamis and minerals that they need

Reply to Moroko
Posted by: loverlyjuberly | 2008/01/31

i have spoken to the doctors and they say hes fine, hes not he is loosing weight!!!!! he hardly eats and is alwaystired.please help me
thanks.

Reply to loverlyjuberly