Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2006/07/28

Is my cat sick?

Hi doc, I have notices some changs in my cat's mood lately. She is nearly reaching two years, and she's neutered. She has always been distant. But the last couple of days she's more distant, she hides or runs away from me or anyone for that matter. I noticed she lost some weight and I immediatly thought it was worms maybe, so I tried giving her a pill that I got from the vet this afternoon but when I tried that she screamed and made a run for it, seems like I got the pill in (hopefuly). Her gums seemed a little white, but as soon as I try to open her mouth I can see she doesn't like that or she cries out.

Any idea?

Please have your vet check yor cat over. If she is losing weight she needs to be examined. Often cat gums look pale compared to dogs. Paleness can also be due to certain diseases that affect the blood and may cause anaemia (measured as a decrease in the concentration of the red cells in a blood sample).

8
Posted by: kevin | 2006/08/07

She seems fine now a little more than a week afterrr I noticed she was sick. Everything seems back to normal!

Thanks to al who responed.

Reply to kevin
Posted by: Kevin | 2006/07/31

Hi and thanks for responding.

Vet checked her out Saturday (two days ago), currently on antibiotics, she eats a well balanced dried cat food, but can't now because it's too painfull, she looks very well now compared to last week Friday when she didn't eat at all.

Will keep you posted.

Reply to Kevin
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/07/31

dental problems are common. Feeding her the sachets are making the problem worse. The food in them is so sticky it sticks to the teeth and rots the gums.

You vet should be able to recommend a good dry cat food that will clean the teeth while she eats. You can also get tooth gel which, when applied often enough, will kill bacteria in the mouth, this is available at all vets.

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Kevin | 2006/07/30

She has some or other gum problem which made ulcers, it's common for older cats when kidney failsure kicks in, when it occurs again, we'll have to do blood tests to make sure the kidneys are ok. She's eating now, not as I would like to at least she is eating. She's also socialising again with me and "talking" to me in her own way. Checkup in 5 days, currently on antibiotics.

Reply to Kevin
Posted by: Kevin | 2006/07/29

Hi again, I think she had a tooth ache or something. She doesn't eat her pellets, I bought her some of those sachets - she ate like she has never eaten before - shame - the only vet that agreed to meet me after hours can only open the hospital for me at 18h00, but luckely, she ate! Amen to that. will keep you posted.

Reply to Kevin
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/28

Yes, this doesn't sound right at all. Often cats will retreat if they are ill or hurt, and it's possible that your cat is reacting like this. I certainly wouldn't ignore it.

I'm wondering if she isn't injured in some way - it's sometimes hard to tell, especially if they won't come to you. Best of luck.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kevin | 2006/07/28

Will do Melbalina, thanks

Reply to Kevin
Posted by: Melbalina | 2006/07/28

Sounds like she is in pain. I would suggest taking her to the vet immediately to check her out.

Reply to Melbalina