Question
Posted by: Kaycee | 2004/10/11

Is my 33 year old boyfriend autistic?

I've been together with my partner for 6 years and am the first girlfriend he's had.

Our sex life is excellent, but he doesn't express emotion other than in bed at all. He doesn't like being touched and is extremely sensitve/tickelish everywhere on his body. He speaks with a fairly monotone voice and seldom laughs or smiles. He has a few male friends and even the ones he's been friends with over 15 years find it easy to talk to him about work related issues and sport that he participates in but NEVER anything personal/emotional.

I've read a few articles on a classification of autism and it seems to fit his behaviour but I'd like to be sure.

He assures me that he loves me dearly and never wants me to leave him, but its very frustrating for me in this relationship and I often feel rejected. I don't have a relationship with his parents and therefore can't ask his mother what he was like as a child.

HELP!

Kaycee,
No, I don't think it's likely that he is autistic. Seriously and significantly autistic people don't tend to have partners of 6 years, or an excellent sex life. The rest are all aspects of some normal personalities. What does he think about this --- is he happy as he is, or does he feel he could be happier in some ways ( in which case he might want to see a shrink and work on it ).

2
Posted by: Kaycee | 2004/10/12

Sorry Shaun, it's definitely not you, unless, Shaun is also a "nickname"?

I'm both relieved and disappointed by CS's response, but then I guess a defective personality disorder is easier to work on than autism, so maybe you should go see someone and work out what's missing.

There's so much good loving to be shared out there and its so sad to see someone being too inhibited to demonstrate outside what's going on inside.

Reply to Kaycee
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/12

Hi KC,

I must say, except for the first gf part, this concern could very well be about me??? & I don't think I'm autistic... Nevertheless I am intrigued & am looking forward CS's response.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun