Question
Posted by: Princess | 2004/10/16

Is Major Depression hereditory?

I suffer from major depression.. We have a family history where both my maternal an paternal grandmothers suffered from severe depression. My mother also has major depression, but not my dad. Is it possible that I inherited a "double dose" as it comes from both sides of my family?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Princess

Depression seems to have a genetic component so it is possible that you inherited some genetic factors, but the environment also plays a major role. It is one of the "complex" diseases where it is very difficult to predict what the degree of heritability is heritable in a specific family. Please consult your doctor about the prblem.

Regards, Maritha