Question
Posted by: Lindy | 2004/11/16

IS IT TRUE?

Is true that HIV negative people can have a CD4-count of less than 200?

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

Yes they may have sone other disease that causes the CD4 cells to drop

8
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/17

Can someone please help this (0)... looks like an arsehole to me...
I missed your point... guess you need to sharpen your pencil!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: (0) | 2004/11/17

Shame you get easily upset. You must be stressed.

If you do know as much as you claim you will know that it takes YEARS to develop new drugs, it takes YEARS to get the necessary studies done to understand the true meaning of CD4.

In science and especially medical science - YOU HAVE TO BE OPEN TO NEW RESEARCH.

Your problem is that you think you know everything. When sombody dissagree with your "superior INC trademarke" bla bla bla you get upset. Who the hell do you think you are.

FOR YOUR INFO: AIDS HAS BEEN AROUND FOR 20 YEARS AS YOU SAY BUT THERE IS STILL MAY QUESTIONS WITHOUT ANSWERS. CANCER HAS BEEN AROUND FOR AS LONG AS MAN IN AROUND AND THERE IS STILL A LOT OF QUESTIONS.

You obviously need some shrink to help you. HIV do affect the brain ......

Reply to (0)
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/16

Don't patronise me! What is your definition of 'long time'... a 'new test' to me... means something that was done recently... CD4 count is not a new test... it has been done for years! CD4 was discovered after HIV... and HIV is over 20 years old... that is not new!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: (0) | 2004/11/16

Using CD4 count as a marker for HIV is a relative new test. Ask your doctor for how long has it be around??? Also ask him how many studies was conducted on CD4 counts on HIV - and HIV+ people. Then you will understand why I say its a new test.

The CBC (Complete Blood Count) has been around for some time. It is a test counting the white blood cells.

Do you even know what CD4 is??????????

CD4
A type of protein molecule in human blood that is present on the surface of 65% of human T cells. CD4 is a receptor for the HIV virus. When the HIV virus infects cells with CD4 surface proteins, it depletes the number of T cells, B cells, natural killer cells, and monocytes in the patient's blood. Most of the damage to an AIDS patient's immune system is done by the virus' destruction of CD4+ lymphocytes. CD4 is sometimes called the T4 antigen.

FACT: CD4 was discovered after HIV.

Reply to (0)
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/16

CD4 count test is not new... it has been used to check people's blood counts. Anyone can have a low CD4 count... but an HIV- person wil not have a viral load... that is the difference.

Reply to Inc
Posted by: (0) | 2004/11/16

The test for CD4 count is relatively new. Doc's know it as a marker in HIV progression but very little research has been done on HIV- people.

Reply to (0)
Posted by: Loulou | 2004/11/16

I did some reading on the subject.

Very interesting.

While most people know about the lowered CD4 counts which are common in
people diagnosed HIV-positive, but very few people or clinicians seem to
know how common low CD4 counts are in people considered HIV-negative.
Studies show that CD4 counts commonly fall extremely low, especially if a
person suffers from certain conditions. These conditions include a variety
of viral illnesses, bacterial infections, parasitic infections, sepsis,
septic shock, multiple organ system failure, tuberculosis,
coccidioidomycosis, burns, trauma, transfusions, malnutrition,
over-exercising, pregnancy, normal daily variation, psychological stress,
and social isolation

Reply to Loulou
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/16

I don't know about it being so low... but an HIV- person CD4 count drops when they are ill... any infection or illness has an impact on the immune system.

Reply to Inc