Question
Posted by: 72even | 2004/03/10

Is it true

I am a 22 year old active male and i am trying to lose the 5-10lbs of fat that i have gained in the last 2 years or so. I realize that activity hasn't been enough so now i am concentrating on my diet. For the past 8 weeks I have been sticking to a well balanced plan with little fat and minimal carbs but i have't seen much results yet. I am wondering which would be better: higher calories with little fat, or less calories all together while still trying to keep the fat intake to a minimum? Also is it true that even though i have the will power to eat nearly nothing, this can put my body into a conservation mode and hender the fat burning process all together?
Please help, 72even

Dear 72even
To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake by eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet (Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet') and increase your energy output by doing exercise (keep up the good work if you are attending a gym or jogging, etc). If you starve your body, it will shut down those systems that can lead to weight loss in an attempt to conserve energy in the face of starvation. This drastic approach is generally not advisable. Just eat the low-fat diet and get active and you will lose those kgs over time - between 0,5 and 1 kg per week. Slow and steady is the answer.