Question
Posted by: Chan | 2007/06/11

Is it possible to give normal birth afts

My first baby was an emergency C-Section after I was not dialating, Feb 2006, now I have to give birth at a government hospital and they want me to go into normal birth! Is it possible and is there no way I can convince them to give me a c-section? And also, something I am not very clear on, due to not understanding the doc very weel-poor english. It sounded like he wants me to go in on the 18th June-38 weeks pregnant and wait until I go into labour, which could take up to a few weeks, it doesn't make sense, would you be able to explain this to me as I have an little toddler at home who needs me and I cannot possibly stay in a government hospital for that long!

VBAC= vaginal birth after caesarean section, is certainly a well described entity and if your last c/s was not a recurrent problem requiring a c/s as you describe, then having a "trial" of normal birth is 100% correct and it spares you a second caesarean section with its operative and anaesthetic risks.
I think that your doctor means that if you don't go into spontaneous labour by 40-41 weeks you may then be considered for repeat c/s as you can't have an induction of labour.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2007/06/11

Most doctors wont allow you to have natural birth after a c-section as it can put both mother and baby's life at risk. The womb could have a weakness in it from the c-section scar tissue. You should really rather try and save or go into debt if need be to have the proper care you need - especially for your unborn baby's sake.

Reply to Lou