Posted by: Fido | 2008/08/10

Is it possible to change a puppy' s name?

I have a puppy, got him about 1.5months back. I' m wanting to change his name, as his current name is not suited and he doesnt seem to respond (the name that he has does not have a strong sound to it).

Is it possible to do it? And what steps can I do to ensure it works?

Dear Fido

It will be easy to change te puppy's name. The use of simple positive reinforcement should do the trick. If you spend time with your puppy always have some very tasty treats with you and say his name and give him a treat if he comes to you when you call him. You should be able to teach him this response in a day.

Just cut of the back ground noise so puppy can focus on his name. For example, if you call your puppy 'Voetsek', dont say 'come here Voetsek I have some treats in my pocket' or 'I preferred the other treats, but come here for these second hand treats anyway' - if you catch my drift. Don't make other conversation, just make sure Voetsek is a bit on the hungry side, take him for a walk and only say 'Voetsek' and reward him for his interest in your pocket. Bob's your uncle.

Posted by: peter | 2008/08/11

Not only possible to change it but also to add names! Just by accident, all of our dogs have at least three names, because various memebers of the family have various
nicknames for them. Interesting though, that when situations arise where we need to be stern with the dogs and get their attention away from eg. the postman' s pants, they respond quickly to their proper names and slowly or not at all to their nicknames.

Reply to peter