Question
Posted by: scared | 2004/10/16

is it okay?

ive struggled with this question for a while, i'm too scared to ask anyone about this - (my friends& family would freak if they found out) Sometimes i feel like committing suicide, coz i cant change these/my feelings!

is it okay to be gay?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

the answer to your question is yes it is ok to be gay, in fact its more than ok. If that is who you are then it is important that you begin to accept this about yourself and feel good about being you.

No-one chooses to be gay, our sexuality is something that is part of us, some of us are gay, some are bi-sexual and some are straight. Who you are attracted to does not detract at all from all your other positive attributes - its one of them.

You don't have to rush into telling family and friends until you are ready, so take your time with that.

I don't know your age or where you are in South Africa but there are a number of gay helplines across the country with trained counsellors who can help you with this issue. The organization in Cape Town is called the Triangle Project. They have a website which is at www.triangle.org.za and a helpline on 021 422 2500 If you are not in Cape Town contact Triangle and they can provide you with the nearest place to you.

Above all don't harm yourself because you are gay. You deserve to be happy whatever your sexuality, and help is out here. Please post another question if you need any more help - you know where to find me!

2
Posted by: Anna | 2004/10/21

I agree with Byron.

Reply to Anna
Posted by: BYRON | 2004/10/18

HI THERE
I AM ALSO IN THE SAME PRECICAMENT,BUT DECIDED NOT TO TELL MY FAMILY OR FRIENDS AS I KNOW IT WILL BE AN ISSUE
YOU DO NOT SAY WHETHER YOU ARE MALE OR FEMALE BUT I AM A MALE AND AM NOT FEMINIE SO I DECIDED THAT WHAT THE EYE CANNOT SEE WILL NOT HURT THE HEART!!!
I SUGGEST THAT YOU CALL THE HELP LINES OR FIND A GAY
PEN PAL AND SPEAK TO THEM FOR ADVICE,I DEFFINATELY DO
NOT THINK IT IS WORTH TAKING YOUR LIFE FOR AS GAY PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE!!

Reply to BYRON