Question
Posted by: Pumie | 2004/09/22

Is it normal to have insomnia when you are pregnant

I am 2 weeks 2days pregnant but I have noticed lately that I suffer from insomnia everyday. I wake up at about 2am and will doze off at about 5am the strange part is that when I wake up I dont feel tired only in the afternoon will I feel tired. OH and another thing is that I don't have an appertite I have to force myself to eat.
Does anyone else have these symptoms? Is it normal?

These symptoms does happen in early pregnancy

5
Posted by: mama to be | 2004/09/27

Pumie, I definately go through the same thing on a regular basis. What I read somewhere on this site is that you shouldn't lie there forcing yourself to sleep. Rather turn on the light and read and you'll doze off much quicker.
I also have to force myself to eat and maybe these symptoms may be related because I wake up really hungry at times. But I'm 12 weeks now, I used to sleep through earlier, but this is something new. Good luck girl, but know ur not alone
xxx

Reply to mama to be
Posted by: Pumie | 2004/09/23

Thanks guys it helps to know that I am not the only one with this problem.

Reply to Pumie
Posted by: Jane1 | 2004/09/23

Yup, I have the same problem! But I don't feel exhausted at any time of the day- I just get by on less sleep.
Jane

Reply to Jane1
Posted by: Shmegal | 2004/09/22

Hi Pumie

I have never had a problem with sleeping at night until I fell pregnant. I am now 12 weeks and have had terrible nights since I was about 4 weeks preggies. I tend to wake up at around 3am and by 5.30am I'm still lying awake. I then fall asleep just in time for my alarm to go off for work. I initially thought it was because I was taking my folic acid and vits in the evening but when I changed my medication to the morning my sleeping patterns were still poor. I definitely think it's a pregnancy thing.

Reply to Shmegal
Posted by: Jojo | 2004/09/22

Hi Pumie,

I'm 7 weeks and going through the same thing. Wake up about 1am after falling asleep very quickly, but then can't go back to sleep properly for hours. I wake up fine, but by lunch time I'm tired again, and then fine in the afternoon.
Seems like it might be a symptom..
Good luck.
Jojo

Reply to Jojo