Question
Posted by: happy bipolar | 2005/11/23

is it normal to be a happy bipolar

Like you sitting at your desk and smilng like normal, but you feel like playing bunjy off your chair and people walk around like they normal, but they not, and there eyes are really really vacant AND there actions .............................

i don't understand sometimes, or sometimes i don't want to because i CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH.

SO my question is : is it possible that bipolar can be the most liberating experience ever? like you see the whole world in another way, or am i just sick sick sick.

Not so sick, but expriencing one fairly typical feature of a bipolar high --- things can feel good, and you may be happier than the situation deserves. and you often at such times completely lose your common sense and good judgement, so people often make ludicrous decisions, investments, etc., and only afterwards regret it terribly. So one needs the proper assessment from a shrink and proper meds, to limit these expeditions !
One of the problems involved in treating people with bipolar disorder when they're high, is that they may be very reluctant at first to take measures that will return them to normal, iof it is feeling like fun, at that time.

5
Posted by: Newly Bipolar | 2005/11/23

It's not a gift, but those highs certainly are amazing! Coming down is off course devastating...

For a long time I struggled with the diagnosis. I've been described as an adrenilin junky...the life and soul of any party...a bit excentric and moody (off course).

I've been on the meds now for almost 3 months. Wow...is it nice to just feel "normaly happy". Although I don't like my psych, I thank him every day for that diagnosis. No more suicide attempts and no more shopping sprees. No more illusions of grandeur and no more lows that make it impossible for me to get out of bed!

Yes, it is possible to be bipolar and happy. I am.
Without my meds...highly unlikely.

Reply to Newly Bipolar
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/23

Oh thank you. then I am bipolar as well. Never really bother with the names.
Cuz i was on moodstabelizers. lamicil or however its spelled.

But i'm off meds....more by choise....sumtimes i think i should go back, but i dont like it.
half the time i forget to drink it & then i think it makes things worse. SO i just try to manage it with gym, support......

But i dont like calling myself bipolar, it sounds like i'm sick then...
Dont think i will ever use that word on myself

Reply to Delene
Posted by: happy bipolar | 2005/11/23

its more than just a mood disorder, coz it affects everything you feel, think and do. you can go from depressive lows to manic highs.
bipolar people are often the "life of the party" type. They are extremely creative, have a deep sense of empathy and are responsible (they are too) for making this f u c k e d up world a better place to live in, while internally coping with just the basics of living, fighting off suicidal thoughts etc.
some famous bipolar people include : vincent van gogh, robin williams, abraham licoln to name a few.

mine particularly has opened my eyes up, though no one can ever really describe it as a gift, because it can -|- up your perceptions but then you look around you and think oh my freeking word, i'm happy being bipolar.

Reply to happy bipolar
Posted by: Friend | 2005/11/23

Bipolar is caused by a chemical imbalance and there are 2 types. Bipolar I (the more serious and dangerous one) and Bipolar II (a more mild form). Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But there is good news: bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives.

About 1 percent of the population age 18 and older in any given year, have bipolar disorder.
Bipolar is characterised by extreme mood swings - from happy, euphoric, creative mood during which the sufferer can do strange things like overspending, sexual promiscuity, hyperactivity etc. to a very very bad depression which can even lead to suicide. Medicine usually for epileptics are often used for bipolar. I also cannot understand why there are so many bipolar sufferers on this site, because it is actually very rare - only about 1% of the population.

Reply to Friend
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/23

Never asked this question, but actually i have No clue what is this bipolar stuff.
Can sumone just explain PLEASE so i can know if i am too maybe.
Seems everyone got it..

Reply to Delene