Question
Posted by: KB | 2004/11/01

Is it normal for chickens to “eat” their own eggs?

Yesterday afternoon I noticed my three chickens eating an egg. Is this normal? What causes it? Please help!

Chickens may eat their own eggs if the egg is damaged (egg is a rich source of protein and vitamins that are now leaking out), but also due to excess disturbance (rather recycle the egg and lay another at a later stage than lose all those precious nutrients to a predator). Certain nutrient deficiencies, such as calcium deficiency, may also prompt them to start eating eggs. If they are not on it already, try feeding a commercial layer mix to rule out the last possibility, and try to disturb the nest as little as possible.

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

2
Posted by: KB | 2004/11/04

Thanks Dr Van Wyk

Much appreciated

Reply to KB
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/01

I have no idea, but perhaps you could resolve another issue: which was there first, the chickens or the egg?

Reply to Chill