Question
Posted by: Leo | 2004/11/11

Is it normal for a puppy to 'eat' his pooh??

I got a new puppy 2 weeks ago - German Shephard [now 8 weeks]. he eats 3 times per day . Currently on ALPO puppy pellets- 300g per day. I pour some Bobtail gravy over the pellets - is this ok?

Sometimes I notice that some of his pooh has been eaten. Is this normal ? How can I make it stop cause its grossing me out!!

Hi Leo
It may be grossing you out, but this is a relatively common and normal behaviour for young dogs, especially German Shepherds. Make sure you are feeding your puppy the right amount of food according to his weight and weigh him every week. Deworm him now and every 3 to 6 months. The gravy is not necessary and may not be digested and therefore the faeces still tastes like food. Perhaps try adding a bit of grated carrot, apple, pineapple, pawpaw or yoghurt to his food once a day instead. The dry pellets are fine on their own, but may be boring for such an intelligent animal. Paw paw, pineapple and yoghurt aid in digestion and sometimes help to deter coprophagia (poo-eating). Otherwise just ignore it, clean up the poo as soon as possible (but not when he's looking) and keep some doggy peppermints handy. Sometimes toilet-training methods can result in coprophagia - make sure you are not rubbing his nose in his poo! Ignore all mistakes and praise and reward him when he does the right thing.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

10
Posted by: DERRICK | 2004/11/14

ACINETH YOUR COMMENTS STINK. THIS IS THE 3RD TIME THAT YOU MAKE RUBBISH REMARKS TO PEOPLE. GO AND PLAY WITH YOUR ANIMAL BEFORE YOU TRY TO BE SMART. YOU DONT CONTROL THIS WEBPAGE. BUG OFF.

Reply to DERRICK
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/12

Good luck with the peri peri... my German Shepherd watched me sprinkle it all over the corner of the kitchen cupboard which she'd been chewing, waited for me to finish, then licked it off.

It tried mustard (she quite fancied that too), black pepper, vinegar and bleach - then I ran out of ideas. Luckily by then she lost interest...

Another tip for coprophagia is to feed the dog a couple of pineapple chunks each day (if he'll eat it). They say they don't like the taste once it's been 'processed'. My dog didn't mind that either, I merely mention it for what it's worth...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/12

You know what I saw at the vet the other day. I was astounded. Its a thing you connect at the elbow connection of downpipe of your toilet outside. You pick up doggie pooh, duly deposit it in there and with the next flush, whala doggie pooh gone!

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/12

I've asked them to hold it until I'm there to stand behind them with a plastic bag, but they refuse to cooperate.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/12

I noticed that my dogs have regular go times. I pick up two piles in the morning, two in the afternoon. Makes it very easy for me. Teach your dog to be regular, just a joke!! Peri peri should certaintly make them think twice about it.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/12

PI

The problem is that I can't supervise them 24/7 and they may eat when I'm not there. The idea of the peri-peri is to make them think twice before picking it up.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Pi | 2004/11/12

Acineth, probably a good suggestion but my suggestion would be before sprinkling the peri peri on the pooh, rather just pick up the stuff regularly. My dogs do the same, I pick up twice a day without fail. This job comes part and parcel of having big dogs.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/11

It should be okay. It is formulated for dogs. The food is supposed to be a complete diet - but I imagine boring to eat. Just keep an eye on their weight and give them less if they get too fat.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Leo | 2004/11/11

Thanks for the swift reply - I will try the peri-peri suggestion.
What about the Bobtail gravy? is it ok to use this as its made for dogs? I assume its better than using gravy/stock for human consumption as it would be too salty...

Reply to Leo
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/11

Unfortunately it is normal. The behaviourist answered this for me some time ago - if you enter coprofagia in the search button you will find it. You can try springkling peri peri on the poo.

Reply to Acineth