Posted by: michelle | 2009/03/06

Is it lupus or something else?

Please help. Im desperate! I have SLE in the family (aunt and Mom)
and since 13 years of age , am now 37 have a consistently positive ANA blood test. Those in the know say it not conclusive enough of SLE and I dont present with enough other symptoms which is usually true... until 6 mths ago. My right shoulder and neck area go into bouts of extreme spasm and it is getting worse each time. Lately (about twice a week now) the pain developes into migraine and my bones, especially shoulder and top of back are very sore to the touch. For instance, today I woke with very stiff neck and deep shoulder pain. It got progressively worse, and it started to feel as though " something"  is pulling my right arm down, it feels very heavy and shoulder muscles are very tender and feel like a tight ball. Went to doc (second time in two weeks) and he gave me voltaren shot and synap forte. It has made it bearable enough to sit and type this but as I sit here, my upper back and shoulder area are extremelly painful. My bones in that area feel " heavy"  and sore.
I dont know if this is a joint and bone problem that is causing the muscles to contract or wether it is strictly muscle. The doc not sure what to do. Could he be missing something? I am on pain tablets daily, have constant headaches and right shoulder pain (deep inside, feels like joint or bone)
What should I do? I dont have medical aid to play around but I know something is wrong. I am not a sporty person, havent injured it anywhere, it just happens and more and more frequently. Why do you think my blood shows positive for the ANti nucleur factor? Could it be indicitive of something else?
Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageShoulder Doc

DEar Michelle,

from your description I do not think that you have a specific shoulder problem but that the pain in your shoulder is part of either a referred pain from the neck or part of a generalised rheumatic condition. Unfortunately you will have to be examined by a specialist and a rheumatologist would be the correct one. If you can not afford to go the a private specialist you could make an appointment with the nearest hospital and specifically the orthopedic or the rheumatology dept


Dr Joe de Beer

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.