Question
Posted by: G | 2008/01/31

Is it just me?

Hi CS,
Just wondering if there is something wrong with me - maybe depressed or unrealistic or just silly ...?
I am 27 and have a lot of things going for me apparently (job, money, opportunities, a byfriend that loves and respects me, good family etc)
I find though that every few weeks i go into mini depressions where I just think "is this all there is to life? there has to be more?!".
I know consciously that I should be happy and greatful for all that I have, but I find when I am in one of those "life is unfulfilling & mundane" moods that everything ust seems not to be worth it or an effort. I can recognise the 'nice' things in my life, but I cannot feel much joy in them.
I often feel like running away and joining unicef or something - just getting away from everyone and everything around me.
But then, sooner or later (after maybe a week or two) I come around again and go back to trying to find things in life to keep me happy.
It all just seems to be a never ending cycle and I find myself wondering what I am doing wrong ... why I can't just be happy.
Do you think I have problems, or do I just think too much about something that is actually human nature?
I would really value your opionion or input please?
Thank you!

Not silly. SOme would call this a variety of Existential Crisis ( try reading some of the paperbacks of my old friend Viktor Frankl about the importance of experiencing MEANING in your life ). And CBT counselling could help you examine and test these apparently habitual negative thoughts, and to mrevise them appropriately and fruitgully.