Question
Posted by: Vic | 2006/03/30

Is it heart problems?

Everytime Am angry I feel pain in my heart and I cannot even sleep at night beccause of discomfort in my heart. Last novermber I had a minor operation , when I woke up from the theatre my heart was very very painful for few days. I dont have high blood pressure and I am pregnant at the moment. It has been happening since 2004. Is it safe for me to deliver naturally. Just asking because it will need my ernegy.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Vic,

You will need to be seen by a gynaecologist soon. Matters of blood pressure are totally different when pregnant. There is an increase in the amount of blood your body carries, plus a drop in blood pressure. This all causes the heart to have to work harder. Also, during pregnancy, a specific disorder can occur involving drastic blood pressure changes, so you really do need good antenatal care.

Don’t forget, though, that “indigestion and heartburn” is very common in pregnancy, and this could be the cause of your discomfort at night. This too, will need to be treated, as it can become a significant problem for a pregnant lady.

Good luck, I hope your pregnancy proceeds without complications.

Heartdoc