Question
Posted by: zee | 2004/02/16

IS IT FATTENING

Hi Doc,

I need some clarity please.

I have a major soft spot for fruit, whenever there is fruit in the house i cannot stop eating it. I eat any kinds of fruit and will even skip breakfast, lunch and supper and settle for having fruit. I buy about R50 fruit every 2 days. Is this unhealthy / fattening?

Dear Zee
Theoretically any food, no matter how nutritious, can cause weight gain if you eat excessive amounts - this also applies to fruit. Do try and have a more balanced approach and eat your fruit in conjunction with a balanced diet because you also need proteins, minerals like calcium and iron, B vitamins, etc, and even some fat to preserve your health. Moderation is always the key.