Question
Posted by: Annon | 2008/01/25

Is it a stroke?

On the 26 October 2007 I was involved in a car accident, my baby who is 18 months old was injured on the face. Three days later I started feeling numbness on the right hand side of my face. I went to see a family doctor, he said it could be stress due to the accident, he priscribed Stilpane and trepiline. A week later I started feeling dizzy and my body was becoming weaker and the numbness was too much on my face. I decided to go back to the doctor, unfortunately the doctor whom I saw last time was overseas and I was seen another doctor who referred me to a specialist. I went to see the specialist on the same day, he did some test and told me that I had a minor/mild stroke. I was hospitalised on the same day and I was booked for MRI . Here is the comment from that brain scan. "Non-specific tiny T2 / FLAIR hyperintense focus in the right temporal lobe, most likely of ischaemic origin.

I would like to know what does this mean. I did asked the specialist but he kept on saying it nothing major, I shouldn't worry about it. If there is nothing major why am I not getting better because by face is still numb. On my discharge I was given Ecotrin, Azor and Trepiline. Why am I still feeling the same way? Is it gonna be like this for the rest of my life?

Please help I am very worried about my condition.

Regards,
Annon

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It sounds like if you had an ischemic stroke. An ischemic stroke is usually due to blockage of a small artery that supplies the brain of blood and oxygen. When this artery is blocked, damage occurs in the area that this artery supplies. Unfortunately, I can not confirm if your symptoms will be permanent, as only time will tell.

Your symptoms are however, treated with the correct medication.

Kind regards