Question
Posted by: smile | 2004/11/04

is it a proper diet

Im smile a young man who is 19 years old.i would like to find out about my diet if it is the good one for my health. I started it 3months back in the morning i normally eat 4slices of bread with cheese and mayo... for lunch i take Green Salad and another veg. and for supper i take 2slices of bread paisted with majarine,jam and pinut butter. normally i drind water about 9glasses per day and one glass of juice. Most of my friends says im losing too much it is not healthy im starting to feel guilty of wanting to be on diet my normal size is (30) but im aiming at size (28) if it could be porsable.

Dear Smile
I think that your diet is totally unbalanced. You don't include any good sources of calcium except the cheese and would need to add 2-3 cups of fat-free milk and/or yoghurt and/or cottage cheese to obtain your daily calcium allowance. Then you are probably also getting deficient in iron and B12 (no meat, fish or eggs) and omega-3 fatty acids (fish). The iron and B12 deficiencies can lead to anaemia, so please start including these foods - use low-fat, lean meat and prepare them in ways that don't add fat (i.e. grilling, boiling the eggs, etc). Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a balanced slimming diet.
Excessive water intake (more than 3-4 cups a day) over and above your normal liquid intake can wash important minerals out of your body (calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium) which can cause electrolyte imbalances which will in turn result in weight fluctuations. So be careful that you don't disturb your electrolyte balance by drinking too much water. Moderation is the key to good health.
Take care