Question
Posted by: helen | 2005/07/15

Is fat free/low fat good for 2-year old?

Due to insulin resistance and being overweight I need to change to fat free milk and dairy products, and cut out fat (except the good ones - avo, olive oil, fish), and go on a approved diet plan. I'm a single mother of a 2-year old, with not much time on my hands, and still struggling with will power (so having tempting foodstuffs around would be difficult to leave alone at this stage). Would it be harmful to my daughter to also take fat free products and eat low fat meals? She is her ideal weight, and is highly energetic. (During the day she drinks 200 ml of boxed Purity milk, and at night about 200 ml of Nido 1+, as well as small Woolies full-cream preservative-free jogurt).

Dear Helen
You can give her low-fat milk products, but check that she does not lose any weight. The general rule is that children must have full cream dairy products until they are at least 2 years old to provide them with sufficient energy. After 2 years, they can use low-fat milk and dairy, but do check her weight.
Good luck with your diet.