Posted by: Jane | 2008/07/16

Is Espiride dangerous to alcoholics?

My husband has suffered with bouts of depression and highs for many years. He drinks excessively and smokes marajana regularly. I encouraged him to see a psychiatrist as none of the psychologists he has seen have helped him. His psychiatrist has prescribed espiride. Since starting the medication he seems to have become more manic and drinks even more than before. Is it the Espiride that is causing this?

If he insists on drinking and smoking marijuana, it is unlikely his depressions will come under control or respond properly to ANY treatment, so treatment ought to focus on the substance abuse first. I don't know any good specialist psychiatrist who would use Espiride as a primary treatment of Depression, but hesurely wouldn't prescribe it in an alcoholic if there was any major reason to expect the combination to be dangerous. . It would be even less effective in an alcoholic, and could make him more drunk when he drinks. His psychiatrist needs to be asked to take responsibility for the treatment recommendation he made, and to advise on how to handle these consequences