Question
Posted by: Somebody | 2004/01/06

Is dry wors and biltong safe during pregancy

Is dry wors and biltong safe during pregancy?

The risk from biltong would be quite small but, if you want to be pedantic you would have to avoid it.

4
Posted by: miss.kay | 2014/10/03

hi iam only 3weeks pregnant Iam so addicted to biltong and dry worse. can they harm my unborn baby in some way.

Reply to miss.kay
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/07

Hi Kippie,

Yes, I think that the terror tactics used by some pregnancy magazines on what you can and can't eat are a bit ridiculous.

My gynae's advice to me was: everything in moderation. If it hasn't made you sick before - it won't make you sick now. Don't try something for the first time.

Never mind our great grandparents, when our parents were pregnant with us drinking in pregnancy was considered fine - they weren't even advised to cut down or only drink one glass of wine a week or anything like that.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/07

I also had biltong and dry wors in moderation. There are so many limitations on foods these days when you are pregnant, I am still in total amazement how our great & grandparents couldv'e produced normal children as they had almost lived on biltong on the farms, etc. So although modern medicine dictates problems with certain foods, I am still not too convinced.

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/07

Any kind of raw meat is not safe during pregnancy. The risk with raw meat is toxoplasmosis.
Also, no raw or partially cooked eggs, and keep away from soft cheeses (anything with blue veins, and cheeses like camembert and bree), as these are difficult to pastuerise. Obviously also don't drink any unpasteurised milk (anything you buy in a supermarket is pasteurised).

However, I am pregnant (34 weeks) and have eaten dry wors and biltong during my pregnancy, just eaten it in moderation. I also ate some bree in the early days.

Reply to Purple