Posted by: worried | 2008/09/16

Is dit depressie

My seun is 11 jaar oud en is ' n baie emosionele kind. Vanoggend het hy sy kop gestamp en in trane uitgebars en gese dat hy wens hy was dood, hy wens dit was eerder hy wat deur die seun met die swaard doodgemaak is. Ek het nogal geskrik deur die uitlating. Ek is nogal bekommerd oor die uitlating. Is dit normaal dat kinders sulke uitlatings maak, dit is die eerste keer dat hy so iets se. Wat staan my te doen?

One always has to take such threats seriously, even though it often turns out not to have reflected dangerous intentions on his side--- you should take him to see a good local child psychiatrist or child psychologist for assessment and advice. Even normally healthy kids think at times of such things, but its hard for even a parent to assess the seriousness of such threats. Actually, though anon is right that sometimes some kids do say such awful things to attract attention or to express bitterness, we need to take the threats seriosuly and have them properly assessed, because we don't want to dismiss such a comment as unremarkable when it might be very serious indeed.

Posted by: Maria | 2008/09/16

Anon, that is a very irresponsible statement. I would get help for these kids immediately.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: EL | 2008/09/16

Ek dink nie dis nodig vir kinders om te weet van sulke goed nie! Kinders is kinders en hulle het ' n reg om nog kinders te wees! Hulle het nie nodig om bekommerd te wees oor wat in ons wê reld gebeur nie. Kinders word te gou groot in vandag se tyd!

Reply to EL
Posted by: anon | 2008/09/16

Maybe children at that age just say things to get attention??

Reply to anon
Posted by: same problem | 2008/09/16

I think the sword killing hit some nerves with the children. My son is 12 years old and also said he wish it was him that died that day with the sword killing. Is this normal??

Reply to same problem
Posted by: EL | 2008/09/16

Kry dringend hulp by ' n sielkundige! Al hoe meer kinders begin dink aan selfmoord en dis hartseer!

Reply to EL