Question
Posted by: Interested (diabetes) | 2004/11/23

Is diabetes hereditary?

My boyfriend has Type II diabetes (discovered at age +- 25) and I am interested to know whether or not our potential children have a strong chance of being born with diabetes or becoming diabetic due to heredity? He does not have a family history of the disease.

Thanks.

Interested, although we see that diabetes sometimes runs in families (multifactorial inheritance), no direct genetic link has been proven that I know of. Good luck.

2
Posted by: science | 2004/11/24

If your boyfriend is overweight and insulin resistant, that might be the cause of his T2D. He might then also carry the Thrifty gene which can predispose him and his offspring to obesity and T2D. Keeping such a person's weight under control by exercise and sensible diet can prevent the developent of T2D. It is not necessarily so that your boyfriend carries the thrifty gene! and in any case, it might or might no be passed along. Only a 50% chance.

Reply to science
Posted by: Interested | 2004/11/24

Thanks CyberDoc - I appreciate your reply.

Reply to Interested