Question
Posted by: Lee | 2005/12/07

is cage fighting street fighting

Hi, I dont know much about martial arts.

But I was arguing about cage fighting and street fighting with my friends. the one said cage fighters will not be very efficient in a street fight cos they are used to rules, sportsmanship, etc.

But i disagree, these athletes are well versed in combat and can be pretty effective in a fight.

what do you think?

Expert ImageSelf defence expert

Hi Lee,

Thank you for your mail. Opinion and Aileen has given great feedback re your question.
Cage fighting is a honourable sport and the closest thing to a actual street Fight, but is still just a sport.
I know of many many people who have done no training in their life but are extremely effective in a street fight. Then again a Cage Fighter who is street smart will be almost unstoppable due to the training methods, high level of conditioning and effectiveness. It all depends what your goal is with your training i.e. Street or Ring/Cage. I have allot of respect for both.

Stay Safe
Morne
www.jkd.co.za

7
Posted by: blaze | 2006/02/11

G'day

im glad i stummbled accross this forum!!

One of my mates an i are interested in starting our own cage fighting business but we dont have the right contact details or which directions we should be heading!!

We are based in South Africa Cape Town and desperately seeking A' Class advise! Few people that we've been in liaison with have been talking alot of rubbish or beating around the bush!! Either they dont want to share the contact details or they just dont know what they talking about!

So if theres anyone who will be able to help us and lead us in the right direction it would be most appreciative... our ears and eyes are well opened!!!

Thanks in advance guys!!

Blaze

Reply to blaze
Posted by: Angel | 2006/01/31

Any good fighter assesses a situation before engaging. Whether a street fighter or a cage fighter or a martial artist, real fighting is an art; fighting an intoxicated guy in a bar it is important to accurately assess the situation, decide if the fight is necessary, if it's not why get into it and what will the legal repercussions be on you- the skilled or trained fighter going against an inebriated, judgement impaired individual. As a fighter, I choose not to telegraph my decisions, if I need to do a takedown I do one. I don't tell the world what I am doing and I don't care about fair. As previously identified and as has happened, that guy on the floor sometimes still has a knife hanging from his belt but it's aweful hard to get to when he's pinned and realizing how stupid he looks being taken down by a girl. I have bounced at bars and the dumbest thing I've seen is someone squaring off to fight a drunk guy- save it for the cage, the ring, or a sparing match where it stays an art and not a meaningless act picking on some poor inebriate who isn't going to remember it or appreciate it.

Reply to Angel
Posted by: MMA Fighter | 2006/01/28

Cage fighting may not be street fighting but its well nearly identical. only difference is groin attacks and neck and eye gouges. and a street fight means no weapons, if you use weapons, thats fukin stupid. but anywayz, a ufc fighter wud kick the shit out of 99.9999% of every single person on the street and dats a fact

Reply to MMA Fighter
Posted by: URBAN WARRIOR | 2006/01/25

SUPRISE!!!!

Most cage fighters generally started off as really good street fighters, with the will to win, and want to obtain better skills, training reflexes and fitness.
On the street, he may not necessarily win, I mean, bring fists, elbows knees etc to a GUN FIGHT????!!!!

So don't knock if you a little insecure about your own arts, abilities/wanna be's. You gonna do serious battle if you pick a fight with him. He will be quite happy for no rules, won't be intimidated, and definately won't worry about your size, bulk or no....

Reply to URBAN WARRIOR
Posted by: Lee | 2005/12/13

Thanks, all your e-mails really helped me put it into persperctive

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Aileen | 2005/12/12

I agree with "Opinion". In the Cage or ring, there are still rules, however limited they may be and there is a referee to stop the fight should the guy get knocked and he does offer a reasonable amount of safety assurance. In the street there are NO rules. It's all or nothing. You have to expect the unexpected. In the cage you are aware of what the ranges are that are going to be focused on and as "Opinion" mentioned, there are no reinforcements available. The guy in the cage won't have a knife on him nor is there a possibility that he may have a firearm on him. There are no glasses or bottles or chairs lying around for him to use on you. In the street you make use of everything to save yourself. You can't run away in the cage. In the street you still have the chance of escape and getting home in one piece.
In the cage, you know who your opponent is, how much he weighs, what training he does, experience he has, you may even know whether he is married and has kids or not. The situation that you find yourself in the street does not allow you enough time to do any research on who this animal is who is trying to take your life.
However, yes the experienced cage fighter does still offer a reasonable amount of resistance to an inexperienced fighter.
I do still maintain that training for the street is different to training for a cage fight.
You have to look at what your goals are in your training.
And that is my opinion ... :o)

Reply to Aileen
Posted by: OPINION | 2005/12/08

TRUE, GREAT ATHLETES, THEY'RE GOOD AT THIER SPORT, AND IF A FIGHT WERE TO BREAK OUT WHERE THEY WERE FACING ONE GUY, THEY FACED OFF AND BEGAN FIGHTING, CHANCES ARE THEY WOULD WIN, BECAUSE THATS THIER GAME. BUT NOW SAY THEY'RE IN A SITUATION WITH A BAR BRAWLER WHO DOESNT WANT TO SQUARE OFF AND HAS NO CONSCIENE ABOUT CAUSING BODILY HARM, THEY ARGUE, THEY BRAWLER WACKS THE CAGE FIGHT WTH HIS GLASS ACROSS THE FACE, KICKS HIM IN THE GROIN, PICKS UP A CHAIR AND BANGS HIM ACROSS THE HEAD... FIGHT OVER. ALL THINGS THE CAGE FIGHTER HAS NEVER TRAINED AGAINST AND THEREFORE WOULD NOT KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH IT. IN CAGE FIGHTS YOU STILL HAVE THE LUXURY OF KNOWING WHEN, WHO AND HOW MANY PEOPLE HE'S FIGHTING, IF THEY'RE ARMED OR NOT AND NOT TO WORRY ABOUT THINGS LIKE GROIN STRIKES. THROAT PUNCHES, EYE GOUGES, FISH HOOKS, ETC... BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED.

LIKE I SAY, I AGREE, THEY'RE EXCELLENT ATHLETES AND SQUARING OFF AGAINST THEM ISNT GONNA BE CLEVER, BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE THEM A STREET FIGHTER.

Reply to OPINION