Question
Posted by: Mal | 2004/12/09

Is bariatric surgery an option?<br>

I am 1,54m tall and weigh 90kg's. I wear a size 40D bra, nice ones in this size are very hard to come by. I suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome and have a period every two to three months. Despite my condition, quite by accident, I had a baby two years ago. My second attempt at coneption has yielded no results. At the time that I fell pregnant, I was also overweight and weighed over 100kg's when my daughter was born. I consulted a dietician a while ago, who gave me a relatively easy diet to follow. I love salads, veggies, chicken and fish. My problem is sticking to the in-between meals, which is really hard with the work that I do as I am often involved in meetings. I sometimes skip lunch too and then tend to overeat at supper time. I walk vigorously for 2-4 kilometres a day, but this seems to help with nothing other than my asthma. Am I a candidate for bariatric surgery and more importantly, is this kind of surgery covered by medical aids?

Dear Mal
Yes, I can understand your problem, with a current BMI of 38, you urgently need to lose weight. I would agree that you are a candidate for bariatric surgery, which is available in SA, but is usually NOT covered by medical aid. You could, however, consult such a surgeon (ask your gp to refer you) and he/she may be able to motivate that the surgery is essential for your health. If this does not help, then I would suggest Xenical in combination with a very-low-energy diet. Your gp can prescribe this medication for you and also try to motivate the cost via the medical aid. It will certainly not be as expensive as the surgery and speakers at the recent Obesity Congress agreed that Xenical can have good results. In the meanwhile stick to your diet as prescribed by your dietitian (you know what you are doing wrong) and don't skip meals as this throws your food intake for the day out of kilter.
Holding thumbs that you can obtain one of these treatments