Question
Posted by: Debra | 2007/03/28

Is Balsamic Vinegar bad for kids

My 7 year old daughter has developed a real liking (borderline craving) for Balsamic Vinegar, her favourite combination is fresh cucumber, cottage cheese and Balsamic which she can have up to 3 times a day. I never thought Balsamic would be something that kids would like and I'm worried that the frequency that she has it could be bad for her, please help.

Dear Debra
The basic principle of a balanced diet is that it should contain a variety of different foods, so it is never a good idea to concentrate on only one or two foods. Acetic acid (as in balsamic vinegar) should not really harm anyone and as she is eating the vinegar with cottage cheese this should neutralise any excess acid. Young children do go through eating fads when they want to eat only one or two foods for a few weeks. But do try and encourage her to eat a variety of different foods.