Question
Posted by: John | 2005/12/12

Is Augmentin 1000mg effective against pharangeal Chlamidial infections?

Dear Doc,
I have developed an ear infection and sore throat, this occurring approximately a week after having had oral sex with a new partner. Penetration was with a condom.

I saw a doctor for the sore throat/ear infection and was treated with Augmentin. The infection did not clear after the first course and I was prescribed a second course, this time Augmentin 1000mg. I have been reading up on the net what possible infections might have caused the throat infection and wondered if it might not be a chlamidial infection. If so, will the anti-biotics prescribed actually cure the infection??

Dear John,
Chlamidiae react to erythromycin, tetracyclin and Ciprobay. Did you tell your doctor about the possible origin of the sore throat? Please ask him to reconsider the treatment.