Question
Posted by: Lenovo | 2007/07/31

Is Atarax addictive?

I have been using atarax for a few months, I am not under direct supervision but was suggested it for anxiety. I have only upped the dose two times since I have started using it. My husband says he thinks I am addicted? Is it even and addictive drug? It does not say so on the leaflet it only says it should not be used for longer than four months. Besides I do not think I am addicted I want to use it, if I wanted to stop I could I just dont want to. It is a choice I could stop I just dont want to. Besides lots of people use meds regularly right? Does it make them addicts?

I have NEVER EVER found a situation in terms of psychiatry or psychology, in which Aterax was a competent or appropriate prescription, and I have never seen it prescribed by a doc with proper psych training and expertise. It is a massively sedative anti-histamine, which is NOT EVER an appropriate treatment for anxiety disorders, and which CAN cause dependency problems. Your line "if I wanted to stop I could I just dont want to" is an absolutely classic line we hear from almost every alcoholic and drug addict. NOBODY uses atarax long term with any real benefit to them. I strongly suggest that you arrange as soon as possibnle to see a competent and up-to-date local psychiatrist for a full assessment of the nature of your problems ( anxiety and dependency included ) and thus arrange to get actually effective treatment for your anxiety, so you can be rid of it, rather than staggering through life sozzled by a sedative. Effective treatment might include CBT counselling and certain antidepressants which can greatly help to remove anxiety symptoms.