Question
Posted by: nicky | 2008/05/29

Is a laparoscopy my only option?

I’m 32 years old and have been trying to fall pregnant for two years doing what nature requires. My gynecologist has done some test, finding nothing wrong with my ovulation, but problems in my boyfriend’s sperm structure. He said that this should not prevent us from falling pregnant. After six months without falling pregnant he’s suggesting that I go for a laparoscopy. I have never been for any operations in my life and find the idea of being put under anesthesia absolutely petrifying. I feel as if this has brought everything to a standstill as he has no advice other than the laparoscopy as a next step. Could you suggest anything other than the operation?
Thank you for your time and advice in advance.
Nicky

Dear Nicki

The option of a laparoscopy is certainly a good recommendation as certain conditions such as endometriosis can best only be diagnosed through this means. This applies in particular to early stages of the disease and its effect on infertility cannot be over stated. However if the indication for the laparoscopy is simply to confirm tubal patency then a simple x-ray or an HSG maybe more than sufficient. In view of your age, perhaps a laparoscopy should still be seriously considered.

7
Posted by: sheila | 2008/06/02

hi i went for laparoscopy in April i had a painfull period pain and they found the fubroids and now i cant have a bay because of that there is nothing painfull there just check u inside u cant even hear when they check u. after the operation it was painfull for two days but now is fine i need this baby so bad but with fubroids its not easy

Reply to sheila
Posted by: Roxy | 2008/05/30

I mean isnt bad...

Reply to Roxy
Posted by: Roxy | 2008/05/30

Hey,Laparoscopy is bad,just like the other explained,I was only 19 when i went for mine,the next day its really painfull though and discomfort but day after,You feel a for away.Strongs for you.

Reply to Roxy
Posted by: Madam | 2008/05/30

I'm in the same boat as and was also apprehensive about having a laporoscopy. I had it last year; there was no endometriosis and went back to work within 3 days. The pain is not so much, only around the navel where the incision is made; you'll barely notice it. I suggest you have it done, foryour own peace of mind. They just make a small incision in your navel in order to check that everything is okay. If there is any endometrial tissue, they will remove it, which will boost your chances of getting pregnant if that is a cause of infertility.

Reply to Madam
Posted by: Angel | 2008/05/29

Hi guys.

A lap is a very small procedure. I was supposed to have had one, but changed medical aids and am on a waiting period now.

A very small incision is made by your navel and another around your bikini line. It causes minor discomfort after that, which may only be for a day. My mum had one early last year, was home the same day, and was back to her usual routine the next day, driving around, etc. She's in her 50s, so I don't see it being a problem for us young ladies.

I have had a c-section previously, when I had my child 5yrs ago. That wasn't bad, and that is real surgery as compared to a lap.

Don't be afraid. You will be fine after a day or two. The doc will prescribe you pain killers.

Good luck and hope you both fall pregnant soon! Don't let your fear get the better of you. It really is a very small procedure & is also referred to as 'band-aid' surgery. You can really just put on a plaster to cover it. Doesn't need any big dressings. Do an internet search, if you need more info.

Reply to Angel
Posted by: T | 2008/05/29

Another ?

Do you have to have a lap before a gynae will do artificial insemination?

Reply to T
Posted by: T | 2008/05/29

I am so glad you asked! Sorry I cannot help, but I'm in exactly the same boat as you.

My gynae ran cd21 tests and all my tests came back normal. He also suggested a lap, but I'm too scared. I'm 33 and we've been trying for 4½ years. Only symptom of endo is painfull periods.

I hope someone on here can give us some answers or alternatives.

Keep well and good luck.

Reply to T