Question
Posted by: Katrien | 2006/07/25

Irritable Bowl Sindrome

I am suffering from the above mentioned. I went to my GP and he said I must exercise more, drink plenty of water, eat healthy and was put onto Bevispas for two months. NOTHING CHANGED!!! I am desperate now, what must I do more not to suffer anymore?

Dear Katrien
Contrary to popular belief, IBS is not a "psycological" illness and is not something one needs to "live with". It can seriously impact on your quality of life and there has been studies that have shown that it's caused by neurotransmitter imbalances. Please ask your GP to refer you to a gastro-enterologist/physician or look on easyinfo.co.za under medical for one in your area. It will take time and some tests to determine what kind of IBS you have ( diarrhoea prominent or constipation prominent), you will probably have to see a dietician and you will probably get some medication to use long term. Try adding pro-biotics as a supplement in the mean time.

2
Posted by: Yappie. | 2006/07/26

Hi Anxious,
I have IBS too, always knew I had it, but confirmed today. Thanks for your informative post, I will also get those books. Been struggling with this for too long.
xxx

Reply to Yappie.
Posted by: anxious | 2006/07/26

Which form of IBS were you diagosed with? There are 3 types i.e. IBS-C (constipation), IBS-D (diarrhoea) and IBS-A - IBS with alternating diarrhoea and constipation. I was diagnosed with IBS-C last month and through my gp and specialist surgeon was put onto 3 mths of Zelnorm and Fybogel. Zelnorm is apparently brilliant for the pain problem - I have just started my 2nd month and haven't had any pain at all. Before my diagnosis I kept having very bad intense cramp-type pain on my left side in the colon region and my gp and specialist surgeon came to the conclusion it was an IBS problem that I had. Apparently Zelnorm co-ordinates the muscles in the intestine to make it work better. Its horrendously expensive, but to quote my pharmacist - one of their customers swears by it and says its worth every cent. My chemist charges R580 for 60 tablets (2 a day for 1 month)! I didn't have IBS type pain on an ongoing basis before I got diagnosed with the condition - but the pain kept coming back. Diet can apparently play a major role with a lot of people who have the condition. Novartis (the manufacturer of Zelnorm) sent me a very informative booklet on the condition. Phone their consumer help line and ask them to post you a booklet. Their number is 0861 929 929. I also recently bought a diet book "The New IBS Low Starch Diet" by Carol Sinclair which has hundreds of wonderful recipes, from starters, main courses to deserts everyday meals, salads (literally everything you need in recipes). I bought it at Exclusive Books - you might have to phone to order a copy as it is a 2003 edition and therefore might not be in stock. I had to order it (I found it on Exclusive Book's website) and ordered it from Sandton City branch. It only took about 7-10 days to get it. It also describes the condition in a lot of detail.

Reply to anxious