Question
Posted by: DJN | 2007/12/10

Irritable bowel syndrome

I was diagnosed with IBS and generally have a verly slow digestive system. What can I take to control this condition. I have recently started drinking bran with water every morning and evening to assist with my disgestion. What type of foods/beverages must I take and avoid?

Dear DJN
Two of the most important factors in are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet', ‘You are what you eat' and "Healthy GI tract'. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a search with 'IBS' to find the article I wrote this year on 'NEW LIGHT SHED ON IBS' which will provide information about this condition.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: roslyn | 2009/02/17

HI

I SUFFER FROM IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME IM CURRENTLY NOT ON ANY MEDICATION, BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE CORRECT FOODS TO EAT, SO THAT THE BLOATING CAN GO DOWN, AND THE PAIN CAN STOP AND ALSO WHAT NOT TO EAT

Reply to roslyn