Question
Posted by: Marco | 2007/03/05

irritable bowel syndrome

Dear Dr Van Heerden

I have a very nasty condition-'irritable bowel syndrome' which i've had for about ten years.
It started with lactose intolerance, and more and more i find i cannot eat certain foods. I've cut out most dairy products (exept joghurt which doesn't effect me as badly and at times lines my stomach), all 'refined flour' products such as white bread,even brown bread(which is just white bread with a few seeds),pastas, spicey foods such as curries, fried foods, most refined starchs such as chip and even braaied food kiils me. All these things i have progressively become allergic to. My question is when will my body stop rejecting foods? more and more i find i cannot eat certain foods. The sad thing is i'm only 18(and male!) and i am able to less variety than my grandmother who also has the same condition.Ironically i eat so healthly but i;m slightly overweight! Why do our bodies do this to us?!
I've read many many books on my condition but only in like 1997 was irritable bowel syndrome recognised as a medical condition and most books don't offer too many solutions. will i eventually just have to live on water and raw vegetables?
help my asseblief!

Dear Marco
I hear what you are saying and can understand your frustration. Have you been properly examined by a gastroenterologist? if not, please do make an appointment because it is important to determine: a) if you suffer from food intolerances or allergies, b) if you have IBS or diverticulitis or Crohn's disease. I would also recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications. IBS is greatly influenced by stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension. The latest research in this field indicates that there may be an autoimmune aspect to IBS, but this research is still in the very early stages and we will have to wait and see what the researchers come up with as a solution.

1
Posted by: marco | 2007/03/05

oh sorry forgot to add that i've been to an expert gastro and i don't have cancer or anything, but i have over-acidity.
thanks

Reply to marco