Question
Posted by: Lindie | 2007/06/04

Irritable Bowel Syndrom & Wheat Intoller

My child of 6 has just been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrom and that she is wheat intollerant.

What kind of food can she eat and still enjoy a healthy childhood?

Dear Lindie
I am sorry to hear that your daughter has been diagnosed with IBS and wheat intolerance at such an early age. Because she is so young and needs the correct diet to grow properly, I would recommend that you take her to a a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can provide you with a diet prescription for the lassie that avoids the offending foods, but still promotes healthy growth and development. In the meanwhile click on ‘Diet', ‘You are what you eat' and "Healthy GI tract' to obtain more information on IBS and also click on 'Allergy & intolerance' for more information on wheat allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about wheat allergy.