Question
Posted by: Severine | 2007/04/25

Irretable bowel syndrome

I just want to asked what type of food I must avoid to tricker by colon. My doctor said onions is a big no, and that I must avoid "bread, pasta, pizza, chips, rice, etc.) after 4.

What is your opinion about this? Any suggestions?

Severine

Dear Severine
If you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and read this week's DietDoc Topic 'New Light on IBS' then you will see that I mention that certain foods can irritate a spastic colon. Onions, most legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils, soya), the cabbage family, spicy foods, etc. In addition each IBS patient needs to determine what foods cause them to specifically develop symptoms by keeping a food diary and noting down what you eat and what symptoms you develop and then to avoid those foods that cause YOU discomfort. You may find that you can eat pizza and rice, but not bread. If you find this too difficult to work out, then PLEASE consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with this elimination process and work out a diet that ensures that you still obtain all the nutrients you need for good health.

1
Posted by: Lisa | 2007/04/26

What a coincidence - went to my gynae yesterday, and also brought this up - as i had a feeling i have IBS - and she confirmed it - she said - NO sugar, white flour or yeast in my diet. lots of water - and to buy Duphalac Dry (powder) and throw it over porridge/ food/ in tea etc!
Good luck!!

Reply to Lisa